Words from the Editor

My photo
Minnesota, United States
Thanks for visiting my blog. It's sort of a running history of the trials and tribulations of raising a busy family. I work full time as a nurse and my husband is at home keeping the rest of our lives in some sort of order. Life is busy, fun and challenging every single day. I hope you enjoy our story!

Friday, April 10, 2009

You know you've had a bad day (or week or month) when you step in a puddle in the basement and are actually HAPPY to find out it is pee!!!!

Ok....don't be offended by the title of this post. I am trying to hang in there but each day we seem to be tested a little more. Last night Sarah started having some mucousy, bloody looking diarrhea (yes, gross I know!). Anyways, I figured it was from the antibiotic she is on for her ear infections. When I called this morning, the nurse at the clinic said I needed to bring her in right away. Which, of course, I did. When we got there, the doctor just said- "Oh, they should have told you this can happen with this antibiotic- it's not blood, just discoloration"....blah blah blah. Another $20 wasted. However, I brought Alex with me as well because his "cold" he's had this week has left him with the nastiest hacking cough. It brought back memories of the Christmas a couple years ago when he had pneumonia. Turns out he has a raging ear infection. Possibly the start of pneumonia, but no x-rays were taken because the antibiotic he's on for his ear infection will also cover pneumonia. He still has to take his penicillin as well because the strep bug would not be killed by the new antibiotic. Anna has started with the same hacking cough this evening and stated her ears really hurt. I just couldn't bring myself to visit the pediatrician again tonight. Chris can take her tomorrow- I'm done!

Onto the title of this post. It has truly been the month from hell and today I think we just kind of hit the wall with patience. We are both just so worn out and frustrated and sick sick sick of sick kids. So, this afternoon I went down to the basement to do the laundry and stepped in a puddle of water in the middle of the carpet. We have had water issues in our basement a few years back but had drain tile installed and it has been fine since. I yelled up to Chris to get down to the basement because there is water coming in from somewhere. He comes down, we are trying to figure it out and then both of us get down on the floor to smell it- yes, I know, very gross. Needless to say, it smelled like pee. Chris was starting to panic that maybe the sewer was backing up and leaking into the house. With our luck lately, it wouldn't have surprised us that much. Well, in the middle of our panic attack, Alex comes down the stairs and says, "Oh yeah, I forgot to tell you, I didn't make it to the bathroom in time earlier." I don't think I've ever been so relieved to have stepped in pee. I don't even really care that he peed on the family room floor, which normally he would have had some kind of privilege or toy taken away (At least I think that's what we would have normally done- he hasn't peed his pants in a couple years). I only care that there isn't water in the basement and I don't need to have the sewer serviced. Funny how we have gained an entirely new perspective on things. That truly was just about the highlight of the day :)

No comments: