Words from the Editor

My photo
Minnesota, United States
Thanks for visiting my blog. It's sort of a running history of the trials and tribulations of raising a busy family. I work full time as a nurse and my husband is at home keeping the rest of our lives in some sort of order. Life is busy, fun and challenging every single day. I hope you enjoy our story!

Monday, May 24, 2010

Strange World

So, in a previous post I mentioned that I had the opportunity to go to New Orleans for 6 days for a work conference. It was quite the experience. Luckily, I took a few photos that I am finally posting to share with everyone. New Orleans is really like an entirely different country. There is a lot of history which includes some really good jazz music and some really really bad poverty. Bourbon street is just like you can imagine it- not a place to bring your kids. As our trip unfolded, the sights just became stranger. Here is a collection of a few things encountered in this strange world....

Ok, so this isn't really that strange, but in the context of where we were and what else we saw (which I cannot post pictures of!) it still gave us a chuckle....

Really good food- yes, I ate that crayfish! Really proud of myself!
Hmmm....this wouldn't be so bad if it were in the middle of some kind of festival...but it wasn't- just out on the sidewalk near all of the tarot card readers. Did I mention it was like 90 degrees- talk about hot!

Just one example of the sad reality that many of these people face everyday.

So, maybe you are wondering why I would take a picture of garbage. Mostly because we couldn't believe that garbage could be piled on the sidewalks like this everywhere we went. Still don't quite understand why there weren't dumpsters......

Yes....in the middle of a restaurant in some strange dusty window enclosed area....strange

Here we are on the voodoo altar...probably means we are cursed.....

Yeah, in case you were thinking of bringing your nuke with you....

Very strange silver painted people everywhere. Some were mimes, some were just holding signs....

And the obligate shot of Bourbon Street and the infamous beads....Yes, we collected our fair share of beads while we were there....No, it did not involve any inappropriate acts (AKA, no Girls Gone Wild).
In summary, I don't think I'd want to go back unless I received another free trip. It was an experience for sure, but I really kind of like my boring, normal life!

No comments: