Words from the Editor

My photo
Minnesota, United States
Thanks for visiting my blog. It's sort of a running history of the trials and tribulations of raising a busy family. I work full time as a nurse and my husband is at home keeping the rest of our lives in some sort of order. Life is busy, fun and challenging every single day. I hope you enjoy our story!

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Taking the Opportunity

For the last couple of years, it has been difficult, and sometimes impossible to do anything last minute. There are a variety of reasons for this. First, it was adding a baby to the mix- that makes spontaneity impossible. Then I went back to grad school and so my time was even further divided and spoken for. Add to the mix doctor's appointments, dentist appointments, my work schedule, kid's swimming, golfing, birthday parties, family get togethers, etc and it's a regular schedule nightmare. So, when my sister and brother in law invited us this week to go on a vacation in Walker MN in a week and a half, my initial reaction was well we have this, this and this so no, it won't work out. Then then mommy guilt started surfacing and I thought of the fun memories the kids would have. We haven't taken any real vacations with them (guilt) and we've hardly even had time to get them out in the boat this year (double guilt), every day I'm off work is spent at someone else's house for a party, get together, or it is spent at home trying to catch up on laundry and dishes (guilt, guilt, guilt). And so, instead of all the reasons we "can't" go taking over, I decided that we would go and I would just deal with all of those "can't" reasons by rescheduling appointments, figuring out the details and only letting the kids see the benefit of a family vacation. So, while this vacation was not what we were planning on doing with my week off at the end of July, I have a feeling that we will all be glad we took the chance and decided that just having fun and blowing off appointments and commitments for the week is truly in order. Our apologies if one of those commitments was with you- we hope you understand.

No comments: