Words from the Editor

My photo
Minnesota, United States
Thanks for visiting my blog. It's sort of a running history of the trials and tribulations of raising a busy family. I work full time as a nurse and my husband is at home keeping the rest of our lives in some sort of order. Life is busy, fun and challenging every single day. I hope you enjoy our story!

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Disaster Preparation

Riding in the car on the way to religion tonight, Anna was telling us about how they had to do a fire drill last week. I told her I thought that was a really good thing to know what to do in a fire and I'm glad they were learning about that. She then said they also did a tornado drill. Again, I told her I thought this was good practice to know what to do in these types of situations. Then she said, "But mom, what exactly do you do if the building starts on fire and there is a tornado outside?" Hmmm....not even sure how to answer that one. I told her I wasn't really sure what the right action would be in that situation but that the likelihood of that happening is pretty slim so she shouldn't really worry about that. Being the realist she is, she came up with her own straight-forward answer, "Well, then I guess if that really happened, you would just have to die". Morbid, but given the likelihood of such an event happening, it seemed easier to just leave it at that rather than come up with some elaborate plan of running from the burning building through the tornado into another building's basement. Such happy thoughts on the way to religion. Hopefully there will be no nightmares about burning buildings caught up in twisters tonight.

No comments: