Words from the Editor

My photo
Minnesota, United States
Thanks for visiting my blog. It's sort of a running history of the trials and tribulations of raising a busy family. I work full time as a nurse and my husband is at home keeping the rest of our lives in some sort of order. Life is busy, fun and challenging every single day. I hope you enjoy our story!

Saturday, March 14, 2009

Behind the Times

I have been realizing more and more how much of a different world my kids will grow up in compared to the world I knew as a child. They are far more technologically savvy and everyday it seems there is something new that they learn. Just the other day, I was telling Anna that I needed to talk to Alex's teacher about something and she said- well, mom, just email her- then you don't need to be interrupted with a phone call.....hmmm.....true, but is that really always the best form of communication? I took Anna to Lookout Ridge yesterday- which is an indoor climbing/playground that is a great way for kids to burn off some winter energy! While there, I noticed many of the parents texting while "playing" with their kids- what an example!!! I was astounded by how focused these parents were on their gadgets and I kept thinking how much fun they were missing out on! I am forever amazed at how incredibly good Alex is at the computer, running the TV (which, with 4 remotes baffles me sometimes) and in general just figuring out all of this "new"technology. I had to laugh today though when Alex was talking about going to see a movie and he then decided, "Mom, I don't want to go see that movie, let's wait for it to come out on DVD and we'll just rent it. But, we have to make sure that it's available in blu-ray because that is really the only way to watch movies now." I always thought that I was pretty good with keeping up with the latest gadgets and technology, but man sometimes I swear the 6 year old has a leg up on me!!! At least Sarah still appreciates the simple things in life. Here is a picture of her attempting to eat Jazz's nametag (had to put the camera down when she actually got it in her mouth)- I know, not the most sanitary thing, but at least she isn't DVR recording every episode of Spongebob on me! (yes, that was Anna :).

No comments: