Words from the Editor

My photo
Minnesota, United States
Thanks for visiting my blog. It's sort of a running history of the trials and tribulations of raising a busy family. I work full time as a nurse and my husband is at home keeping the rest of our lives in some sort of order. Life is busy, fun and challenging every single day. I hope you enjoy our story!

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

My Insanity

Ok, I admit it- I have trouble throwing things away. I mean, serious trouble. Don't get me wrong, I don't save garbage and our house doesn't look like an episode of Hoarders (which by the way if you haven't seen, OMG that show is nuts!). However, I do seem to hold onto things that are truly unecessary. This becomes apparent every once in awhile when I decide I need to do some serious cleaning. Today it was the storage room. Now, keep in mind this is the room that we have basically packed up and moved 3 times over the past 12 years. I can't say I've even opened most of these boxes since that time. But, today I decided I was going to dive in and declutter the disaster. I found lots of treasures- clothes I had bought for the girls, rollerblades they have already outgrown, etc. Most things I could either quickly decide, "yes, I can certainly live without this" and then it was either trash or donate pile (unless I end up putting them in a garage sale). There were a few items I couldn't really decide what to do with. One of them is my wedding dress. I suppose I should keep it, although it is currently stored in a flimsy trash bag and I'm sure has turned all sorts of yellows by now, but I can't just throw it away, right? So, back it went right into the storage room again. That will have to be a decision for another day. Then, I came across these absolutely terrifying dolls. Now, I'm sure they didn't look quite this bad when I initially put them in storage, but now they honestly look like something out of a really bad horror movie. Was I honestly thinking I would give these to my kids someday as a sort of passed down heirloom? Good God, they are hideous! I will let the pictures speak for themselves.
So you don't think I'm a complete lunatic- they both do have a lot of sentimental meaning. The blonde one (notice what a nice haircut I gave her by the way) was my first "real" doll that my mom bought me. I distinctly remember getting her. She has the perfect beautiful outfit- it was a pink fur coat with a matching dress. Not long after I got her, my sister (Jenny- next in line for those of you who don't know) colored all over her and her beautiful clothes. It seems most of that has disappeared now though. I still remember being so angry at her for doing that. Can't blame her really, it was probably me who left the markers out for her to get in the first place! Notice the creepy eyes- not sure why they turned that awful shade of gray, but that is one scary doll!

The purple bodied doll goes back even further. This is "sloppy jo". I don't actually remember why that was her name, but it was. I carried that doll around so much that eventually her whole body fell to pieces. This is why she is now sporting this attractive purple body. Aunt Jackie had to recreate the body for me. It hasn't held up the best over the years though as you can see her arm is about to fall off.

And so, I will throw them away. Although there is still a part of me that feels a little sad about this. I can't honestly find a reason to keep these scary things in the house. Although, I could refurbish them for some downright haunted halloween decorations!

No comments: