Words from the Editor

My photo
Minnesota, United States
Thanks for visiting my blog. It's sort of a running history of the trials and tribulations of raising a busy family. I work full time as a nurse and my husband is at home keeping the rest of our lives in some sort of order. Life is busy, fun and challenging every single day. I hope you enjoy our story!

Monday, October 25, 2010

Curling

Sometimes, the conversations I have with the kids take off in their own, strange, confusing direction. More often than not I find myself thinking that having meaningful conversations with anyone under the age of 10 just probably doesn't happen very often. I'd like to think that I have actual "talks" with my kids about important issues, but mostly it just goes something like this.....

Anna:  Mom, do you think that hockey is more popular than gymnastics?
Me: I think they are both pretty popular.
Anna: Yeah, there's always a lot of people at my gymnastics place, right?
Me: Yep
Anna: Alex thinks that hockey is the most popular
Me: He's just trying to start a fight with you, just ignore him, they are both equally popular
Anna: Do you think that soccer is popular?
Me: Yes, lots of people play soccer
Anna: How about football?
Me: Yes, seems popular
Anna: T Ball
Me: Well, it's popular with younger kids for sure
Anna: What about curling?
Me: I don't know if it's as popular as the other ones, but it is in the olympics
Anna: What about straightening?
Me: Huh??
Anna: You know, either curling or straightening your hair, which is more popular? Megan straightened my hair once, and you've curled it, right?
Me: Oh, curling, like curling your hair, not the sport.....I think they are both equally popular....

Because really, when you think about popular sports, don't you wonder if it's more popular to either curl or straighten your hair? I'm not sure, but I don't really think this one would qualify as a "meaningful" conversation....

(as a credit to Anna, she did know what curling the sport was when I asked her, but apparently hairstyles are just sometimes more important than sports!)

No comments: