Words from the Editor

My photo
Minnesota, United States
Thanks for visiting my blog. It's sort of a running history of the trials and tribulations of raising a busy family. I work full time as a nurse and my husband is at home keeping the rest of our lives in some sort of order. Life is busy, fun and challenging every single day. I hope you enjoy our story!

Thursday, October 28, 2010

Sacraments....Alex style...

Alex has been learning about confession, AKA the sacrament of reconciliation. For those non-Catholic followers, it's the sacrament of admitting your sins, seeking repetence and having the priest absolve you of your sins and make your soul "clean" again. Kind of an abstract concept that can be hard to grasp- especially when you are 8, and you started catechism class late. I was trying to explain this whole thing to Alex since he has to make his first reconciliation in December. He was getting it- naming off all the things he's done wrong- lying, fighting, etc. I then tried to explain to him that the priest would listen to his sins and help him seek forgiveness and strength to do better next time. All of this he understood. Then, a light bulb went off. And he said, "Wait, wait a minute- I have to sit and talk to the priest, like right next to him? Are you sure I can't just email him or video chat with him instead because that would be way easier."


The above comment coupled with the gagging and disgusted noises he made during class when he learned that the bread at communion represented the body of Christ and he realized he was going to be eating it, I think we may be kicked out of the Catholic Church by the time this kid is through all the sacraments.

No comments: