Words from the Editor

My photo
Minnesota, United States
Thanks for visiting my blog. It's sort of a running history of the trials and tribulations of raising a busy family. I work full time as a nurse and my husband is at home keeping the rest of our lives in some sort of order. Life is busy, fun and challenging every single day. I hope you enjoy our story!

Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Another boring, medical type update :)

Ok....so I feel like the blog has turned into some kind of medical journal. I really wish that I had other excitement in my life besides my frequent trips to the Pediatrician's office. Although, he is expecting his first baby any day now so it has been kind of "fun" to count down the weeks and now days with him. Ok, maybe not fun, but when you see the guy 2-3 times per week you have to have something to talk about (well, besides our sick kids that is). Anyways, I am grateful that he is as on top of everything as he is and it has been really nice to have someone that we trust so completely answer all of our questions. He has been our Pediatrician for as long as we have needed such a specialty. He actually saw Alex the day he was born and we've been with him ever since. So, if anybody is looking for a Pediatrician, just let me know!

Ok....onto the update. Anna is 200% better than she was a few days ago. Turns out she had the lovely e.coli growing in places it shouldn't have been. Luckily she has responded well to the antibiotics and is finally eating and drinking again. Because this is her second infection of this type and because of our family history of kidney problems, she gets to have a VCUG done on Thursday of this week. (for those of you unfamiliar with this test, just google it and you'll get more info than you ever wanted about bladders and catheters, etc). Chris is quite thankful that we were able to schedule this before I return to work next week. I don't think he was too excited to take Anna for this fun event. We are hoping the test will be normal and that her infection was just bad luck. It will be good to know though, if there is a problem, as we want to catch it early on. I'll let everyone know how it turns out. We should know by Friday.

In other (sadly) medical news...Sarah has her first official cold. Poor kid can hardly breathe. We're doing the warm mist humidifier/baby vaporub treatment. Seems to have done nothing but fog up the windows and make the dog extremely interested in licking her chest, but there aren't any cold medications she can take so I guess it's what we can do for now. I'm hopeful today was the worst day of it and she'll improve tomorrow. Although, I mean, only 2 visits (not counting the ER visit this weekend of course) to the Pediatrician in 1 week might be dangerously below our new quota. I'm hoping to get my own chair in the waiting room soon :)

Onto other news....NOT medical this time. Chris and I went to Alex's first official school conference tonight. We are absolutely so proud of that kid. His teacher actually said that she wishes she had 22 Alex's in her class because he is always respectful, always listens and pays attention. She said she uses him as an example for the other kids and said that he exceeds her expectations of what a kindergartner should be doing. This is great news, of course! However, it seems that Alex has a bit of the jekkyl and hyde (ok....pretty sure I spelled that wrong but I'm way past caring about spelling and grammar on this blog) syndrome as he's really really good at school, but really really bad at home lately. He has just been testing us with everything. I guess he's used to so much independence at school that he doesn't want us controlling him at home. I don't know. Oh well, I'd rather have him be an angel at school and a devil at home than vice versa. Hopefully he'll adjust soon and start behaving at home again.

Ok..that's all for now. Here are some recent pictures of the kids.

1 comment:

DeeAnn said...

They are all so cute! I have loved reading your stories and keeping up with the happenings. Of course, we can't wait to see you next week. I'm thinking maybe you might feel a bit different about seeing all of us:).