Words from the Editor

My photo
Minnesota, United States
Thanks for visiting my blog. It's sort of a running history of the trials and tribulations of raising a busy family. I work full time as a nurse and my husband is at home keeping the rest of our lives in some sort of order. Life is busy, fun and challenging every single day. I hope you enjoy our story!

Saturday, October 4, 2008

The week's not over yet.....

Well...from the previous post you can see that we thought Anna had the stomach flu- key word being "thought". However, last night she spiked a fever of 104 and we couldn't get it to break. She was shaking so violently and just looked miserable. Since she'd been sick for over 48 hours and seemed to be getting worse, not better, and also because no one else had yet to catch this "flu" we thought we should bring her in. So, we spent the night in the Children's ER. Turns out she has pyelonephritis (essentially a nasty kidney/bladder infection). She was also pretty dehydrated so she ended up getting some fluids and IV antibiotics and some oral antibiotics to take at home. Poor little thing, she's had a rough couple of weeks! She was really brave with the IV and the blood cultures though so I have to get to Target today for her Ken doll I promised her. On the one hand, I'm so glad they found a cause (and it's not contagious, thank GOD) but on the other hand, she just looks so darn miserable I just feel awful for her. Of course, when you ask her if she feels ok she just says, "yeah, I'm fine". She's not a complainer and never has been so it's tough when she gets sick because she just tries so hard to act her normal self. We're hoping she'll turn the corner today and start getting better. The good thing is with all of our repeated MD visits, ER visits, hospitals stays, etc I'm sure we MUST have reached our out of pocket maximum on our insurance by now :) Here's hoping for a very uneventful, quiet weekend.

No comments: