Words from the Editor

My photo
Minnesota, United States
Thanks for visiting my blog. It's sort of a running history of the trials and tribulations of raising a busy family. I work full time as a nurse and my husband is at home keeping the rest of our lives in some sort of order. Life is busy, fun and challenging every single day. I hope you enjoy our story!

Monday, October 26, 2009

The Note

Well, for those of you who haven't heard, Alex's toe is officially broken. I knew it could not be good news when we got back from bowling last night and had missed not one, but two calls from the pediatrician. When I got a hold of them this morning they informed me that he had indeed broken his toe. Good news is, he doesn't need a cast, just some tape for now and a follow up x ray. No big deal. We can so handle this kind of broken bone :) So, we sent Alex off to school as usual today since they didn't give us any restrictions for him to follow I figured I didn't really need to inform the school. Well, apparently, Alex took the liberty to get himself excused from phy ed until his toe is healed. He comes in the door after school today and the first thing he says is, "Mom, you forgot to send a note". Now, with 2 kids in school, I will admit it's very difficult to keep track of everything they bring home and I figured I had misplaced a field trip note of some kind. So, I asked him, "A note for what?" Alex: "Well, a note that says I don't have to go to gym class, of course" Me: "Um, you are going to gym class, no reason you can't" Alex :" Well mom, my toe hurt really bad today and I told my gym teacher I had broken it and I couldn't participate in gym until it was better. The gym teacher made me show him it because he didn't believe me. Then he sent me to the nurse and said to tell you that you need to send a note." Couple problems with this scenario. 1) if you are feeling bad for the poor kid whose mean mom made him play in gym class with a broken toe- let me just paint a picture for you :) Just after this conversation, Alex went outside to play. He was seen scaling his hockey net and using a lightsaber as leverage to launch himself off of said net onto a table. From the table he then did a rolling jump into the leaves. This was repeated over and over for about half an hour. I somehow doubt the activities in gym class are more taxing on his broken toe than that whole performance. Problem 2) Alex has some kind of addiction to the school nurse. I can't get that kid to stop going there. Frankly, I'm getting tired of having to ask him how many times he went to the nurse each week. This is not going to help that problem. Dilemma 3) Should I send a note, and if so, what should the note say- "Dear Gym Teacher- my kid is a hypochondriac and is addicted to the nurse- please do not let him go there. If he whines about his toe, ignore him" Don't think I'll win any parenting awards for that. In the end, I think I'll just stuff him full of Ibuprofen and send him on his way.

In other news, Anna has informed us that she will not get swine flu because she doesn't really like pigs and she has decided not to play with them. Not sure where the occasion would have come up for her to actually play with pigs anyways, but I'm super glad I don't need to get her the H1N1 shot now :)

And so, life continues, one crazy day at a time. Chris and I aren't really sure whose running this show anymore but we are both certain it isn't either one of us.

No comments: