Words from the Editor

My photo
Minnesota, United States
Thanks for visiting my blog. It's sort of a running history of the trials and tribulations of raising a busy family. I work full time as a nurse and my husband is at home keeping the rest of our lives in some sort of order. Life is busy, fun and challenging every single day. I hope you enjoy our story!

Friday, August 20, 2010

The Game of Life

One thing I've noticed about kids is that they pick up on and remember the things you would most like them to forget or ignore. Why is that???

Last night I was playing Life with Alex. For anyone not familiar with this game (just in case you've been hiding under a rock since 1985), your game piece is a little car with a small peg in it- blue for men/boys, pink for women/girls. You also get married in this game. You then get to put a second peg in your car to represent your spouse. As Alex landed on the "Get Married" space and grabbed a pink peg for his wife, he said, "Wait a minute. I'm going to move my guy over, my wife gets to drive". Thinking maybe he was demonstrating what a great, equal opportunity kid he is, I said, "That is nice of you". To which he responded, "Yeah, I've been drinking beer all day and I'm drunk, so she gets to drive me around". Oh. My. God. Apparently, the few times Chris has allowed me to drive were when he had been drinking beer. And, obviously, drinking beer makes you drunk. And the kids have picked up on this. I'm only thankful we didn't attempt to play Life when Anna's teacher came for a visit. This most certainly could have ended up in a social work referral.....

Oh well, at least we are hopefully raising kids that know drinking and driving are not acceptable :)

No comments: