Words from the Editor

My photo
Minnesota, United States
Thanks for visiting my blog. It's sort of a running history of the trials and tribulations of raising a busy family. I work full time as a nurse and my husband is at home keeping the rest of our lives in some sort of order. Life is busy, fun and challenging every single day. I hope you enjoy our story!

Friday, September 12, 2008

Bring on the Chinese water torture....please

I would like to start this posting by stating that it has been a really long week. No, make that a really really really long week. Alex started it off on Sunday with his fever which turned into a nasty cold which Anna in turn caught on Monday night and was up most of the night blowing her nose with (missed her first day of school on Tuesday, poor kid). Sarah was then up all night Tuesday with with a runny nose. Everytime I tried to lay her down she cried. The only way she'd sleep was if I held her sitting up. This was not very conducive to my sleeping however as everytime I'd drift off, she'd fall over and wake up. This was a very long night. Wednesday was again a long day as everytime I'd try to nap, something would wake me up. I then had a dentist appointment, which as anyone who knows me, is enough to ruin my entire day in itself. Only one cavity though so not too bad. Add to this fun is that we are desperately trying to get Sarah to take a bottle as my return to work is fast approaching. She had been taking a bottle about once a day since she was 3 weeks old. However, as we have tried to increase this so that she is taking a bottle more often, she has decided that she does not want a bottle at all. Wednesday night was a particularly difficult night for her and we eventually got her to take a bottle after a long battle. Not 5 minutes after finishing it however, she projectile vomited (like something out of the Exorcist) everything back up on Chris' lap. This was not a good night. Thursday morning I woke up (*not sure if you can technically call it "morning" when I officially got up at 2 am with Sarah and never went back to bed) with the nasty cold which apparently comes with a horrific sore throat that makes it so you can't swallow (still hoping it's not strep). This brings me to the title of this posting. I was thinking how effective sleep deprivation must be as a torture tactic. I think all total this week I've probably gotten about 10 hours of sleep (none of this in any sort of consecutive stretch). If I were a spy or knew any kind of valuable information, I'd be really good at this kind of torture, as I'm sure most moms would be. However, as my mind is a complete fog and several times I've actually forgotten I've let the dog outside (sorry about that Jazz) for hours and once put the thrown up, pooped on clothes back ON Sarah (not my best moment)- I'm thinking that Chinese water torture sounds pretty good. Just lay there and let water drip on your forehead until you go insane.....pretty sure I could handle it at this point.

2 comments:

DeeAnn said...

I think sleep deprivation IS torture! It can make you, well, basically crazy! Hallucinating, murderous, etc! Hope this weekend is better. We just about called you to play cards tonight. You could have been on someone else's team!

Cheryl said...

Sleep deprivation is definitely some kind of cruel joke. I don't think I'd be much of a card playing partner tonight! I read somewhere that sleep deprivation has very similar effects on your brain/body as large amounts of alcohol, it's just certainly not as fun. I'm hopeful that this weekend goes better. I have to keep reminding myself that this stage does NOT last forever and I will someday sleep again.