Words from the Editor

My photo
Minnesota, United States
Thanks for visiting my blog. It's sort of a running history of the trials and tribulations of raising a busy family. I work full time as a nurse and my husband is at home keeping the rest of our lives in some sort of order. Life is busy, fun and challenging every single day. I hope you enjoy our story!

Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Back to the Couch

And....my short lived freedom has ended. The OB called me today at work (yes, I did manage to go back for a whole 6 hours!) to let me know that my 24 hour urine showed concerning levels of protein. A sign of preeclampsia again and a sign that my kidneys are starting to be affected. I was instructed to go right to the hospital. My blood pressure was good today though, 130s/80s- not necessarily good compared to my norm, but good in that he was still not willing to say that I definitely have preeclampsia. The baby continues to look good and interestingly enough the urine sample they took today was negative for protein. Go figure. It's all a bit of a mystery at this point. All I know is I can't wait for my regular doctor to get back because I'm feeling a bit lost as I'm not sure I completely trust this other OB. I'm sure he's qualified and knows what he's doing, but I really think he's about 25 years old and the encounters I've had with him make me think he's still trying to figure out this world of OB medicine. I will just continue to be my own advocate as best I can and trust that if she is ready to come or if my body needs her to come early that that is what will happen- I have to just give up all control and trust that it will all work out for the best. Anyways, the end result of my fun day was that I was put back on bedrest as that will give the placenta the optimal amount of oxygen in the event that I do develop worsening blood pressure. I said before that my blood pressures were good, but those were all taken while lying on my side for more than a half an hour- they are higher when I'm up walking around for long periods of time. Anyways, he's not being as strict about the instructions as I'm not forced to lie on my left side continuously but I do need to take it easy until I see him again on Friday. The goal has always been 37 weeks and technically (according to Ultrasound) that is Sunday- my OB is back Monday so maybe he'll be more inclined to move up the C-section date. Chris' birthday is tomorrow so I thought maybe he'd get a new daughter for his birthday, but as that doesn't seem to be the case, I'm feeling bad that I can't even go and get him a cake- what a sad situation. Poor guy, at least he isn't the feeling sorry for himself kind of person so he won't complain, but I just feel bad that everything can't just so smoothly. I'm looking forward to having some kind of normalcy back to our lives, that's for sure! Well, I'm off to read for awhile- at least my mom has me hooked on a new book series so that should help fill some of the hours. I'm sure I'll have an update on Friday- hopefully no more bed rest because I really want to make it to the family reunion!

No comments: