Words from the Editor

My photo
Minnesota, United States
Thanks for visiting my blog. It's sort of a running history of the trials and tribulations of raising a busy family. I work full time as a nurse and my husband is at home keeping the rest of our lives in some sort of order. Life is busy, fun and challenging every single day. I hope you enjoy our story!

Friday, July 4, 2008

A Posting From the Couch

So.....last week my 35 week checkup was so uneventful that apparently I needed to make up for it with my not so fun 36 week checkup. Earlier in the week I had an episode at work where I felt like I was going to pass out, my blood pressure was about 149/99 at the time. I went to the hospital to be monitored and everything was fine so I was sent home after a couple hours. Yesterday, I saw the nurse practitioner and my blood pressure was up again and also I'm starting to show protein in my urine (sign of preeclampsia) and the non stress test showed that the baby is not as "reactive" as she should be. They want her heartbeat to fluctuate with activity and contractions and it's kind of just staying the same for too long. So....end result is I get to be on bedrest (on my left side to give the placenta the most oxygen). I can get up to eat and go to the bathroom but that's it. I then have to collect a 24 hour urine sample and go in on Monday morning to have labs drawn. Then I see the OB (not mine since he's out of town) Monday afternoon to see how to proceed. I don't think the labs will actually be back until Tuesday or early Wednesday though so I probably won't know anything until then. If the labs are off she's coming next week instead of in 3 weeks, if they are fine I will have to be monitored closely with more nonstress tests and if they are concerning they will do the C section early regardless of the lab results. Anyways, not exactly how I wanted to spend the holiday weekend! So....for those of you in town if you feel like stopping by, I'm sure Chris could use a reprieve so feel free to come wait on me hand and foot :) (just kidding). Amanda- I could use one of your famous massages though, this laying in the same position for so long really starts to hurt after awhile! Also, anyone who has some good movies I could borrow- I can only take so much television. Alright, well, stay tuned as I think my next post could be big news!

1 comment:

Kate said...

So this likely means you're not going to be at the next patient education meeting : )?

I was just thinking about you. Take it easy (as if you have a choice)! Looking forward to your next post.